Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Thank God it's ober (see what I did there? read below...)


I have always loved the end of August. To me, it represents the end of summer - my most dreaded season - and welcomes the beloved and well-missed 'bers. September, October, November, December - all such lovely months and for different reasons.

My parents have always talked about how life is lived in seasons - my marriage in particular is filled with this sort of language and reminding. A little bit ago, I was spending time with Angel and I just looked at him and felt the overwhelming gratitude towards him as my husband. Since we've been together, I've changed to much and he has seen me through some massive life changes.

The benefit of getting married on the younger side is getting to ride the waves with someone who is committed to you, while you ride the waves with them. I'm 25 and I still have a lot to learn. I will in twenty years too. But I looked at my husband, who has an incredible amount of patience and grace for me (in most areas), and told him how grateful I was that he has been secure enough to watch me change and encourage me to continue on the winding path that is a life lived well and in seasons.

If we allow ourselves, we change so much from season to season. Yesterday I thought it would be interesting to do the love languages assessment at this juncture. I've done it before a few times, and your love languages really do ten to change. I hadn't actually taken it again since we've been married, so I gave it a go and WOW have I changed!

For quick reference sake - the love languages (and mine in order) are:

  1. Receiving gifts
  2. Acts of service
  3. Quality time
  4. Physical touch 
  5. Words of affirmation

It was so interesting to see that my highest numbered desires could easily be tied to the things Angel isn't as strong in. I used to be kind of judgmental towards people whose love language was gifts - I thought it seemed petty and materialistic, but now having a husband who has no idea how to give gifts, I realize how important and special that is to me. Not for the sake of getting something tangible, but for the fact that he was thinking of me when he saw something and decided to act upon that thought in an effort to bless me.

Words of affirmation used to be hands down my #1 - but Angel is so encouraging and constantly saying, texting, emailing me nice things that I see it's now at the bottom of my list. It's amazing how much your needs are influenced by the ways other people give to you.

Sway with the seasons, ya'll. It's important. 

No comments: