Tuesday, July 21, 2015

It's everything

I'm struck by the omniscience of God. I choose to believe in and trust this all knowing God, yet oftentimes I'm guilty of obsessive planning or thinking I hold the keys to what "better" or "best" is for my world and all that lies within it.

I look at past events and sometimes things are so aligned in this universe that it's hard to deny the care and precision in which God acts on your behalf. I think about how each opportunity has somehow led to the next opportunity. I think about crappy situations and how maybe if they weren't crappy, I wouldn't have had the wherewithal to get out of them.

Last night my husband and I did a Trader Joe's run together. Going to Trader Joe's in New York City after 5pm on a weekday is sort of like the day before Thanksgiving, every day. But in Union Square specifically, it's sort of like the day before Thanksgiving + Black Friday + the day before Christmas Eve + New Years Eve in Times Square began a polyamorous relationship and together raised a really aggressive baby that is looking for a good deal on grass fed beef.

That said, I had multiple things in the cart and Angel kept asking, "Are you SURE you don't want to go to another one?!" To be honest, I wasn't positive - but at the same time we were already there and I just wanted to get it over with.

Fast forward to walking down the steps to the train with tons of bags. I was in front of A (an off duty EMT) by one step  and all of the sudden he dropped all of the bags and yelled back to me, "Call 911!" I started dialing and looking around to see where he even went... And then I see an incredibly old man who had clearly fallen backwards and split the back of his open.

I will say, quite shamelessly too, that my husband is a badass. I actually cried a little bit watching him in his element. He just immediately got down to his knees and started doing his thing. He called out to the crowd of spectators for random supplies people might have on them and when only one person had a few napkins - he looked at me and I asked a crazy lady to watch all of our groceries and ran to CVS to get a roll of clean paper towels (as if they would typically sell them dirty..?) and Angel just did what he does best. The fallen man was a tourist and only spoke Spanish, so it was helpful that A could explain everything to him and understand what the man had to say as well. An ambulance showed up and A was calling all the shots - he collared him and bandaged the wound and got him on his way to the hospital.

After A took a shower in hand sanitizer, we got on the train with our melting groceries. And I couldn't help but flush out this reality of timing. We almost left that packed TJ's because it was so annoying. I was annoyed when we were shopping because I had to take a break to go next door to the TJ's wine store to go to the bathroom and everything felt like it was taking too long. But if our night would have been adjusted by even a second, A would have been one step further down and wouldn't have been able to see what happened and therefore wouldn't have been able to help this poor guy.

I think it's so interesting to view your life and the circumstances you're in as a season that is prepping you for the next thing. Maybe the next thing will be rough - maybe it will be awesome. But where you are is important - crucial actually - to the journey of getting to your next place. The decisions we make matter, the people we spend time with are vital, and the way we handle ourselves is key.

Word.


No comments: