Thursday, October 01, 2015

Values


Before our trip, my parents sent each of us this book and asked that we read it before leaving for Hawaii. To be honest, it was hard for me to get through the book. I guess the best way to describe my feelings for it would be simply put as "just not my style". But after having these chats in Hawaii with my parents leading them, I felt I understood the heart behind the request more.

My dad had asked that we complete a list of our values. The book encouraged us to do this as well - with the idea being that you complete this list of values thinking of "what appeals to you without thoughts of what SHOULD appeal to you."

Hearing the go around (where people shared their list of values) really made people make so much more sense. In a huge family like ours, it's easy to feel pretty confused about some others' intentions/actions and when we heard each other's values, I think it explained a lot about the ways we live, spend our money, or interact with others.

What's more, I felt like the exercise helped me make more sense out of my own patterns. And doing the exercise with my husband helped me to understand his patterns - and then of course, we understood more of the discussions that happen in our marriage.

My list is in no specific order and the values I have are deeply rooted in my history with my family + past relationships and in the things I care deeply about now.

So, be on the lookout for my values:

Responsibility
Home
Happiness
Cleanliness
Relationships
Loyalty
Generosity




No comments: